Monday, March 25, 2013

numbers...numbers...numbers?! (・。・;)

Week three has by far been the most difficult one so far. We're were supposed to probably have narrowed down our choices for the organizations we wanted to help, but since they all seem to be a good one to donate to it is hard to choose the top ones. Many of the other teams have at least 3-5 organizations that they want to help out while we have 5-8 still. However, Mr. Ponsford taught the class about taxes and how they can help us look at organizations and look whether they are prospering or whether they are not doing so great. Taxes have a really interesting story that I don't want to talk about because I'm a bit clueless about it myself. All I can say is that by figuring out the income tax of each organization, it becomes much easier to decide about helping them or not. In the end I learned that it is crucial to look at the numbers before investing on something because that will show you if it's something worth investing in or if you'll just end up spending your money on something that doesn't show any signs of success.

   Anyways, back to talking about Children and Youth Services. During week three I learned some interesting facts about my cause that I didn't know.
For example, did you guys know that
     There are about 542,000 foster care children in the United States; 126,000 of them are waiting to be adopted.

That's only 23% of the kids being adopted while the other 77% wait and wait hoping to someday find a lovely couple who will adopt them and make them part of their family.

That ratio makes me feel sad because all children should be able to have a home and have a family that loves them and gives them care and protection.  What if i adopt a kid when I grow up? *starting to think*


 We also started another interesting project today called the Social Innovation Relay. This project is about to come up with something that will have a positive impact on society and the world. This also relates a lot to the Main Street Philanthropy because you're trying to make a difference in the community and may be the world as well. We were placed on the same groups as we are now; however, I hoped to have formed a separate team so it doesn't confuse us and makes us get lost. While they showed a video of people in Africa using bottles filled with water to use as light bulbs which was an amazing idea, my mind started thinking of ideas. One of them was a water filter that would purify the water in places where they don't have access to clean water; however, the filter also worked as a generator which provided electricity to the people in low resouces areas where they don't have access to electricity. I'm not sure if there are inventions like that, well besides the dams, but if there are not then it would be good to try to use that idea in Africa where most of the people have a difficult time accessing clean water and electricity.


    I am now looking forward to week 4 of MSP to see what new things I can learn and work with my team to see how we will help organizations supporting our cause! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment